The Hawai‘i Fire Department announces that fireworks permits will be available for purchase beginning Wednesday, December 26, at the following locations for the upcoming New Year’s celebration. These sites are:
- Fire Administration Office located at the Hilo County Building, 25 Aupuni Street, Suite 2501, from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. on December 26, 27, 28, and 31; and from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on December 29 and 30.
- Kona Fire Prevention Office, located at the West Hawai‘i Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Hwy, Bldg E, second floor from, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on December 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31.
- Parker Ranch Shopping Center Food Court, Kamuela, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on December 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31.
Fireworks permits will also be sold at the following Firecracker vending outlets:
- Golden Dragon Tent, Prince Kuhio Plaza parking lot by Sears, Makaala Street.
- Pinky’s (Pinky’s 5 Eight), 27-289 Mill road. Papaikou.
- Pacific Fireworks, Puainako Town Center B-3, 2100 Kanoelehua Ave. Hilo
- Pacific Fireworks Kona, 75-5629 Kuakini Hwy, Kailua-Kona
- Kadota Liquors, 194 Hualalai St. Hilo
- Thunder Fireworks Kona, 75-1022 Henry St. Kailua-Kona
- Long’s Drug Prince Kuhio Plaza, 111 E. Puainako St. Hilo
Each permit costs $25 and will entitle the holder to purchase 5,000 individual firecrackers. Multiple permit purchases are authorized. Permits shall only be issued to persons 18 years of age or older and are non-transferable, and non-refundable. Fireworks sales will begin on December 26 and will end at midnight on New Year’s eve. Permits are not required for the purchasing of novelties and paperless firecrackers. Setting off of Fireworks for the New Year celebrations are allowed between the hours of: 9 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and 1 a.m. on New Year’s Day. Permits shall be visibly displayed at the site of use, during the time of the firing.
Fire Chief Darren Rosario would like to remind the public that it is illegal for anyone to:
1. Remove the powder or pyrotechnic contents from any firework;
2. Throw fireworks from, at, or into any vehicle;
3. Set off any fireworks:
- At any time not within the specified time periods;
- Within 1,000 feet of any Hospital, Convalescent home, Care home for the elderly, Zoo, Animal Hospital or Shelter, or Church when services are held.
- On any school property without authorization from the said school official;
- On any Public way such as a highway, alley, street, sidewalk, or park.
4. Offer for sale, sell, or give any fireworks to minors; or for any minor to possess, purchase, sell, or set off, ignite, or otherwise cause to explode any fireworks, except under the immediate supervision of an adult;
5. Set off any aerial luminary devices, commonly called Sky Lanterns or Hawai‘i Lanterns; or any other aerial devices, such as bottle rockets, sky rockets, roman candles, cakes, mortars, or shells.
The Hawai‘i Fire Department humbly asks everyone to please Kokua in helping us to prevent fires, and also to avoid the unnecessary injuries caused by fireworks each year. You can help us by:
- Using extreme care when setting off fireworks. Children playing with fireworks should be under an adult’s close supervision at all times. Even the smallest of fireworks can cause severe injuries that will quickly ruin the Holidays. Please help us, to help you, start the New Year off safely.
- Fireworks should be set off in an area well away from dry grass or flammable materials.
- Be sure Fireworks are completely extinguished before being disposed of.
- And most importantly, have a fire extinguisher and/ or a water hose ready to use in the event of an unplanned or unexpected fire. Be sure the water hose(s) can reach all areas of where fireworks activities are being conducted, especially around the entire house. It’s also a great idea to wet down any dry, grassy area before and after setting off Fireworks. Doing It before will also let you know the capability of your water source.
For more information on the purchasing of Fireworks permits, or the use of Fireworks, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 932-2911 (Hilo) or 323-4760 (Kona).