Categorized | News

Road work slated in Kona, Hilo

MEDIA RELEASE

The road shoulders along a 1/4 mile of Kohanaiki Road will undergo cold planning Tuesday, Jan. 28, to adjust the elevation difference with the travel lane.

The work will be done by the county Department of Public Works, Highway Maintenance Division between 8 a.m.-2 p.m.

Completion is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 31.

Improvements to Laaloa Avenue, Phase 2 starts from the Alii Drive, for approximately 3,800 feet mauka of the intersection.

Sidewalks curb, gutters, street parking, and bike lanes will be built and dry wells will be added to improve drainage.

Construction was scheduled to begin Jan. 27.

Part of the intersection improvements will also be made to approximately 550-feet of Alii Drive, north and south of the intersection with Laaloa Avenue to include a three-way stop where Laaloa intersects with Alii Drive.

The Laaloa Avenue Extension, Phase 1 will connect Alii Drive with Kuakini Highway in the summer of 2014.

Construction began on Kuakini Highway in July and is scheduled for completion in June and Phase 2 a month later.

Isemoto Contracting, CO, Ltd was awarded the contracts for phases 1 & 2. The phase 1 contract was awarded for $7.7 million and phase 2 for $4.4 million.

Construction hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays.

Kamehameha Avenue Rreconstruction project is scheduled to begin Feb. 3 starting from the Ponahawai Street intersection and ending at the canoe parking lot near Wailoa Bridge.

Major construction work will begin the following month, in March with project completion estimated for the summer of 2015.

Isemoto Contracting Co., Ltd was awarded the $13 million reconstruction contract.

The Federal Highway Administration is funding 80 percent of the project work and the County the remaining 20 percent.

The project includes reconstructing the roadway, sidewalks, adding curb ramps, improving drainage, relocating waterlines, installing LED streetlights, bike lanes, and an upgrade of the traffic signal at Pauahi Street intersection.

Hours of construction are weekdays 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Waterline relocation and Pauahi Street intersection work may occur during the night and weekends.

The Bayfront bus stop on Kamehameha Avenue will relocate to the Civic Auditorium on February 10. The South Kohala Hele-On bus will pick up and drop off passengers in front of the Francis Wong Stadium at the Civic Auditorium.

Bus passengers at Mooheau Bus Terminal are not affected.

For details, call the Mass Transit Agency at 961-8343.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

 

 

Become a fan on facebook

 

 

Quantcast
%d bloggers like this: