Karin Stanton | Hawaii 24/7 Editor
With Ironman set to take center stage Saturday, motorists are reminded of road closures and detours during the world triathlon championship.
Drivers are urged to use extra caution, be aware of runners, bikers, pedestrians and spectators, and to anticipate traffic delays.
Stretches of Queen Kaahumanu Highway between Palani Road and Kawaihae/Waimea Junction will be restricted Saturday beginning at 7 a.m.
Travelers are encouraged to head for Kona International Airport at least an hour early to make flights.
Police will tow illegally parked vehicles in and around Kona town center.
Road closures along Alii Drive:
* Kailua Pier and Kaahumanu Place will be closed 9 a.m. Thursday to noon Sunday.
* The section of road between Likana Lane and Kailua Pier will be closed 9 a.m. Thursday until noon Sunday.
* The section from Likana Lane to Hualalai Road will be closed 9 a.m. – midnight Saturday.
* The southbound lane of Alii Drive will be closed between Hualalai Road and Kahaluu Beach Park 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Saturday.
Road closures on Hualalai Road:
* The section of road between Alii Drive and Kuakini Highway will be closed 6:30 a.m. – midnight Saturday.
Road closures on Kuakini Highway:
* The section between Palani Road and Makala Boulevard will be closed 6:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Saturday; traffic won’t be allowed on the stretch between Palani and Hualalai roads 6:30 a.m. – noon with southbound lanes in the area remaining closed until midnight.
* The section of road between Palani Road heading south toward the Kahakai Estates subdivision will only be open to local traffic 6:30 – 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
Road closures on Palani Road:
* The section between Kailua Pier and King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel will be closed 9 a.m. Thursday to noon Sunday.
* The area between the hotel and Kuakini Highway will be closed from 6 a.m. – midnight Saturday.
* The makai-bound lanes and one mauka-bound lane of Palani Road between Kuakini and Queen Kaahumanu highways will be closed 6 a.m. – midnight Saturday.
Road closures on Makala Boulevard:
* The stretch of road between Kuakini and Queen Kaahumanu highways will be closed 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
Road closures on Queen Kaahumanu Highway:
* Henry Street to Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority will be closed 6:30 a.m. – midnight.
* From NELHA to Kawaihae Road, the highway will be closed 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Those heading to the airport Saturday should use Kaiminani Drive and those traveling to resorts should use Waikoloa Road.
* Akoni Pule Highway, between its junction with Kawaihae Road and Hawi, will be closed 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Access to Hawi is via Kohala Mountain Road from Waimea.
For further information, call the road closure hot line at 334-3400.
For road closure map, click on button below:
Ironman Road Closure Map