Pharmacy students at the University of Hawaii at Hilo received financial support for the 2010-2011 academic year from scholarships totaling almost $85,000.
Scholarships are awarded based on criteria determined by the donors and university, and include merit, financial need and career aspirations.
“Competition for these scholarships is strong because of the caliber of our students,” said Edward Fisher, associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Pharmacy. “We’re pleased to show due respect to these winners and are grateful to the many generous donors for helping our students achieve their dream of earning a doctorate in pharmacy.”
Students winning awards and their benefactors are:
* CVS Caremark Scholarships: Kurt W. Adkins, Megan M. Ching, Jenna M. Fujimoto, Rovigel “Jill” Gelviro, Daniel A. Navas, Cari T. Niimi, Wilson N. Njinuwo, Marisa Nicole Schroeder, Jordan J. Shibata, Jonathan Tam
* Good Neighbor Pharmacy Scholarships: Bernie Cheng, Eiko “Amy” Harvey
* Grace Mizuko Miyawaki Pharmacy Scholarship: Tiffany Pualei Santore
* Haga Family Endowed Scholarship: Melissa Yoneda, Nelson Nakatsu
* J.M. Long Foundation Scholarships: Irene Chaisri, Cassie L. Kim, Christopher I. Lai Hipp, Daniel K. Loo, Cheryl M. Lopez, Angelina M. Lovell, Ana Park, Shanele S. Shimabuku, Megan C. Venegas
* National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation Pharmacy Partners Scholarship: Amber Schwarz
* Safeway Scholarships: Ceslee Fukuhara, Richelle Hirata
* Target Scholarships: Angelina Eustaquio, Jack Fernandez, RaeAnne Fuller, Tanya Moore, Victor Lin
* UH-Hilo Achievement Scholarships: Natalie Codianne, Carol Lynn Goo, Richelle Hirata, Ryan Mashiyama, Casey Ogata, Jason A. Okazaki, Rochelle Oledzki, Prabu Segaran, Jessica Toyama, Henry Tran, Wendy Yamasaki-Herring, Marina Yeh
* Walgreen’s Diversity Scholarship: Jennifer Zbylski
* Wal-Mart Scholarship: Elissa Kahahane