Drivers in and around Kailua Village and along the highways north to Hawi are reminded to use extra caution Saturday during the Ironman World Triathlon Championship.
Here’s the scoops:
* Queen Kaahumanu Highway will stay open to local traffic between Makala Boulevard and Kealakehe Parkway, with athletes using the outer lanes and traffic using the inner lanes.
* Kailua Pier and Kaahumanu Place are restricted to vehicles with an Ironman pier pass 6 a.m. Friday to noon Sunday.
*Alii Drive between Hualalai Road and Kahaluu Beach Park open to southbound traffic only 10:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday.
* Alii Drive in town … well, just don’t try to drive there until Sunday.
* Palani Road between Queen Kaahumanu Highway and Kailua Pier. See above.
* Kuakini Highway between Palani Road and Makala Boulevard will be closed 7-10 a.m. Saturday. Also, traffic won’t be allowed on the stretch between Palani and Hualalai from 7 a.m. to noon with southbound lanes closed until midnight.
* Hualalai Road between Alii Drive and Kuakini Highway is closed from 7 a.m. to midnight Saturday. Access to parking areas will be restricted.
* Makala Boulevard Kuakini and Queen Kaahumanu highways is closed 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturday.
* Queen Kaahumanu Highway will be closed in the following zones Saturday:
– Zone 1: From Palani Road to Honokohau Harbor, travel will be restricted from 7:15 a.m. to midnight. Although subject to delays, local traffic to the harbor will be permitted.
– Zone 2: From Honokohau Harbor to Kona International Airport, travel will be restricted from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. except for areas between Kaiminani Drive and the airport access road as safety permits. Those traveling to the airport on Saturday should travel via Kaiminani Drive. The access road to the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority area will be closed from 1 to 11 p.m.
– Zone 3: From Kona International Airport to Waikoloa Road, travel will be restricted from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., except for limited local traffic access.
– Zone 4: From Waikoloa Road to Kawaihae Junction, travel will be restricted from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except for local traffic.
– Zone 5: From Kawaihae to Hawi, via Akoni Pule Highway, travel will be restricted between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., except for local traffic. Kohala Mountain Road is an alternative route between Waimea and Hawi.